Tuesday, July 13, 2010

La Libertad, El Salvador


What a shithole. La Libertad the city, La Libertad the beach and the hostel Im staying at. The hostel is awful and full of mosquitoes, luckily I had my mosquito net so I McGyvered up my bed. I knew there was a reason I was dragging that net around central america.



I walked around trying to get a bodyboard (i found only one in this entire shithole city that is supposed to be a surf mecca) and ended up following a kid who took me to this sketchy shanty town right past town and in front of Punta Roca. He showed me this ridiculous board that was so old and water logged it weighed more than a longboard. The kids proudly pointed out the plastic they stuck into the bottom of the board as makeshift fins. I tried not to laugh and told them I would come back if I decided I needed it. The pic below of the yellow board is of the board they tried to sell me. they were in teh water while i was eating lunch.




I checked out Punta Roca and it looked like it had potential. the winds were on shore, but it looked like it could line up really nicely (a la J-Bay) on the right swell and wind direction. I was planning on buying a board this morning and going out if it looked good but I couldnt wake up in time for the morning glass, when I did get up the winds were already mucking up the wave. The water in the bay is disgusting, I dont want to know what kind of shit gets thrown in the rivers upstream. the water is brownish with lots of little pieces of plastic trash floating in it, the shore is all black boulders. But Im pretty sure the current pushes it all away from Punta Roca.


I am going to go to El Tunco in a couple of hours, I heard there are lots of boards for rent and sale there as well as good waves as well as good hotels. I will probably stop by Libertad on my way back and I may try to surf punta roca then.

No comments:

Post a Comment