Friday, July 9, 2010

Antigua to Coban to Lanquin

I booked a shuttle van from Antigua to Lanquin for Q152. I opted to take the 2pm shuttle because I wanted the morning to hang out in Antigua. The shuttle ride itself was about 6-6.5 hours, but when you add in all the stops and breaks and drop offs-pick ups, it ended up being an 8 hour trip. It was an ordeal because there were 15 people in that shuttle and I ended up sitting in the bitch seat between the driver and front passeneger. Worse seat in the house. I ended up with bedsores on my ass from that awful 8 hour ride.

I used to hate flying, but these shuttle buses make me yearn for economoy seats on an airplane.

Never has the expression, "I need leg room, I don't need to stare at the back of a pretty girl's head" been more true than on a 7 hour shuttle ride from Lanquin to Flores. The only good to come out of these shuttle rides is the fact that whatever weakness I had for motion sickness has been wrung out of me on these winding mountain roads.




So, we went from Antigua to Coban to Lanquin. Lanquin is this tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. But it is the nearest town to Shemuc Champey. I stayed at a highly recommened hostel called Zephyr. It was a cool thatch roof place on a hillside with great views and cool people and good food. beds were Q35 a nite, but they get you with the food and drinks. food and drinks for three meals could cost you over a Q100 easy. They had great music though, and we had a movie nite, we watched Snatch. "d'ya lek dags?"

Who needs to travel with an MP3 player? So far I've heard everything from Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, to Nofx, to green day, to Juno sountrack, Kimya Dawson, Cream, the Cure, and so much more. I've heard better music than I have back home.

The last 11km to Lanquin is a very bumpy white gravel road into the valley. From Lanquin, it is a 9km bumpy gravel road to Semuc Champey.


one of the cool things about blogging is that I am also learning HTML. I usualy have to copy and paste the html code to move these pictures around in blogger. In my opinion, wordpress is a better blogging platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment