Thursday, February 23, 2012

WWOOFing 2

Chilling after a long hard day of work. WWOOFing is very hit or miss. It all depends on the farm you choose. The "farm" I was at was actually an adventure park. There were rock climbing walls, zip lines and stuff like that. There wasn't an actual farm so the work was different. That's why we were hauling a huge metal beam up a mountain; we were going to use it to make a giant mountainside swing. I didn't have very high expectations for the place, I've grown pretty good at reading between the lines of travel marketing verbiage (even when it comes from individuals) and I knew it wasn't a "farm" farm, but I was still a little disappointed at the lack of interesting work.

But I did get to do some rock climbing, both with ropes and a belayer, and free climbing the mountain everyday to work on the swing arm.


typical take-out lunches the host provided for us. chicken on rice with sweet sauce, and soup in a plastic bag.

First half of my stay I subsisted on instant noodles and fresh local vegetables (usually with an egg mixed in). The local vegetables were so good I could, and often did, just eat them boiled. I could buy about USD$10 worth of vegetables here for about one US buck.


Then, I switched back to my old standby, instant chicken stock with vegetables and rice. It's easy to make and cheap and delicious. Most importantly, it's simple for a backpacker with limited kitchen equipment to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment