Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Other Guys

I loathe myself whenever I see the poverty I am joyriding through. There's so much poverty and suffering in this world, it makes me ashamed of what I have. For example, the following picture: A man pushing his street cart full of dolls. Hello Kitty, Ding Dong, Pokemon type stuff. When I saw that, I thought to myself, "there, but for the grace of god, go I". I couldn't believe a man could make a living selling things like this, or any of the random hawkers you see around the 3rd world peddling the most random little things. But then a moment later, a tourist on a moped pulled his scooter over to the side of the road, walked back and asked this man how much for a Hello Kitty doll. So it goes.


I've developed a love for finding and taking pictures of random graffiti and stickers and street "art" like this. I'd much rather look at dirty walls and telephone poles for this kind of stuff than the temples and wats around here.


Random note: The movie "The Other Guys" with Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell is really really funny. So much fun snappy dialogue. Mark Wahlberg doing his smart-mouthing bad cop thing, Will Ferrell in one of his better movies and roles...highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.


2 comments:

  1. That guy on the moped is helping to raise the street peddler out of poverty. Tourism and trade are raising a billion people out of abject poverty. You should buy a Pokemon

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the rooftop bar with the beautiful Norwegian girl, I told her that the answer to world peace is "smiling while traveling". Either that, or the travel industry develops a "peace lobby" that can rival the military-industrial complexes' influence on government. It can be done. The travel industry's size dwarfs the military-industrial complexes'.

    ReplyDelete