Sunday, January 29, 2012

gahar-e-kebab



last night I went to a fancy hotel restaurant for dinner. It was by far the nicest place I've had dinner at during my travels. It's the kind of place where the servers pull your chair out & in for you, there was live traditional indian music, candles, 500 rupees for a chicken curry, 175 Rs for a naan, warmed dining hall, dark wood furniture (laminated table tops though), gold and silver dishware, etc...

Random thoughts on the experience:

-Indian food isn't really meant for silverware dining, if you think about it, it's all finger food. Indian food is traditionally eaten with the hands. I felt really stupid trying to maintain my appearance of dignity as I was using my hands to sop up curry with naan bread.

- the bored staff kind of ruined the service ambiance. Especially the snooty, really bored looking, chatty, token cute waitress. Bitch was in the open-kitchen, right in front of the dining room, warming her hands over the tandoori oven! What is her job here?! I hate her.

- while i've had food as good or better at much less pretentious and expensive places, the food and the five star experience is well worth the USD$17 i paid. In fact, I feel kind of absurdly guilty for the value that i got.

- heated plates

- single Indian guy nursing a whiskey-looking drink to my left

- the rich, classy, mannered, civilized Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment