Saturday, June 14, 2014

Truckers and trucking music

I have lots of respect for what truckers do.  Theirs is not an easy job.  Here are a few of the songs that were playing in my head in an endless loop of background music:

"Turn the Page": certain lines of this song were my anthem on this road trip.  

"Papa Was A Rodeo": Once again, The Magnetic Field's Papa Was A Rodeo was the background music to my life:  "Home was anywhere with diesel gas, love was a trucker's hand, never stuck around long enough....for a one night staannniaaannnnaaaannnnndddd...".

"Here I Go Again": self explanatory.

Between 6/7/14 abd 6/14/14, I have driven 2,475 miles. According to Google Maps I spent at least 33 hours driving, but I assure you I spent much more than 33 hours sitting behind the wheel.

Here I am last night trying to save a few bucks and sleeping in the back of my SUV rental in a highway rest stop on my way back to Chicago: I didn't want to pay for a motel room for a few hours of sleep:
I'm very happy that the car rental agency place "upgraded" me for free to an SUV, instead of the 4 door sedan I reserved.  I am a big fan of sleeping in the back of SUV/hatchbacks with dropped down backseats.  Not to romanticize it, because it sucks, but it can be pretty convenient and way more comfortable than a sedan.  

However, the night I slept in the car, I think this was in Indiana, it was about 55 degrees during the night and i had nothing to keep me warm but a hoodie.  I even resorted to wrapping myself up in an emergency rain poncho to try to stay warm; that didn't work too well.  I ended up turning the car on and turning on the heat but i wasn't sure how much gas that would suck up and since I only had a little bit of gas left, i had to be really careful with doing that.  I  love traveling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment