Friday, December 23, 2011

Jaisalmer: day six?


I've been sending out a postcard from every city I've visited. I am hopeful they'll make it to America but sometimes I think I'm just wasting my rupees.


I was watching the sun set over this dusty desert town when a group of young beggar girls came and tried to sell me cheap bracelets. I wasn't going to buy any, but I eventually gave in and decided to see what I could get for 50 rupees. Apparently 50 rupees gets you one incredibly cheap and flimsy, but shiny, bracelet. I didn't even haggle the price, I just decided I was willing to give them 50 Rs as charity, so I bought it at asking price.

I haven't been able to figure out this particular class of people. I think they are some sort of "untouchables" but I'm not sure. They are definitely on the lower end of the caste system though. Because despite their always colorful and distinctive dress, they are always poor, dirty and begging or hustling souvenirs. But the younger women and girls often having striking and beautiful features. Of course, the life they were born into is not a gentle one and all the older women look worn out and tired of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment